25 Reasons Why It's Good to Know Your Neighbors
Are you the kind of person who passes by the neighbors without so much as a wave or nod? Be warned, you may regret it when you need a helping hand. To help convince you to be a better neighbor — and go out of way to be nice to yours, even — here are 25 reasons why it’s good to know the folks who live next door, down the street, and around the corner. (See also: How to Deal With a Rude Neighbor)
1. So You Don’t Have to Run to the Store When You Just Need One Egg
Nobody wants to drive to the supermarket in the middle of making brunch for one egg or a cup of sugar. But if you know your neighbor, they’ll most likely be more than happy to let you borrow an ingredient or two here and there — so long as you return the favor, of course.
2. They’ll Watch Your House When You Go Away
Your neighbor can keep an eye on your place while you’re away. Much cheaper than hiring a house sitter who’ll eat all your food and leave a sink full of dirty dishes for you to wash upon your return.
3. They’ll Collect Your Mail When It Accumulates
Your neighbor can fetch your mail so your box doesn’t overflow while you’re away.
4. They’ll Shovel Your Snow and Mow Your Lawn
Many neighbors mow each other’s lawn or shovel each other’s snow from to time. If you’re physically unable to return the favor, be sure to send at least a small thank-you gift to let them know that you appreciate the thought and effort.
5. So You Have Someone to Gossip With About All the Other Neighbors
In this case, it’s best to know the neighbor who has been on the block the longest; he or she will have the dirt on everybody.
6. They’ll Lend You a Tool That You Don’t Have
When you don’t want to buy an expensive tool for one-time use, neighbors are a good resource.
7. They’ll Give You a Break If One of Your Parties Gets a Little Loud
They’ll let your summer bash slide if it gets too loud. Just make sure it doesn’t happen often and that the neighbors are invited.
8. They’ll Invite You to Their Parties and BBQs
Free food! Free booze!
9. If They Have a Pool, They Might Let You Swim in It
Why spend $15,000 on a swimming pool of your own when you’ve got a perfectly clean one next door?
10. They’ll Pet Sit for You
It’s an expensive service otherwise, plus, if you know your neighbor, then so do Fluffy and Fido, which makes your absence a little easier on them.
11. They Can Recommend Service Providers You Might Need
Sure, you can find a plumber on Craigslist, but without references, you don’t know what you’re going to get. Your neighbors can provide solid recommendations for everything you’ll need since there’s a good chance they’ve needed it before in the past.
12. It Makes Your Neighborhood Safer
Neighborhood crime is less likely to occur if the neighbors are friendly and look out for each other.
13. They’ll Accept Your Packages When You’re Not Home
You won’t have to worry about your packages being jacked from your doorstep; your neighbor will keep them safe and sound until you get home.
14. They’ll Bring You Food During Hard Times
When there’s a death in the family or you’re ill, your friendly neighbor will bring you sustenance to get your through the hard times.
15. They Can Let You in When You Get Locked Out
Probably the best reason to know your neighbors. If you give them a spare key, not only can they let you in if you forget or lose your keys, but if you forget to turn something off while you’re at work or on vacation, your neighbor can take care of it.
16. Because It Never Hurts to Have Another Friend
Anybody who thinks otherwise should stay out of my neighborhood.
17. They Are a Good Source for Networking Opportunities
Your neighbors know a whole different set of people than you do. When you need a job, they might just be the folks who have the lead you’re looking for.
18. They May Be Willing to Watch Your Kids
Drop the little buggers off and have yourself a date night.
19. You Have Someone to Share Coffee, Tea, or Wine With
Lonely? Invite over a neighborhood, and it’s all good.
20. You May Be Able to Carpool Places Together
Maybe not to work, but you might be able to go to the grocery store or mall together.
21. They Can Give You a Jump If Your Car Battery Is Dead
Think about the alternatives if you didn’t know your neighbors. It would be a costly hassle without your neighbor’s help.
22. You’ll Get Changes Made to the Neighborhood Faster
If you want to make neighborhood improvements, it’ll be easier to implement them with neighbors on your side.
23. They Might Offer Produce From Their Garden
It’s just one of those things that good neighbors do. Enjoy the tomatoes, and say thank you.
24. The Holidays Will Be Tastier
Friendly neighbors love to bring by cookies, cakes, pies, and wine during the holidays. It’s not a bad circle to be involved in.
25. Life Is Just Easier This Way
Neighbors who dislike or mistrust each other often resort to childish, petty acts to make each other uncomfortable. Sometimes it can go so far as to make people feel like hostages in their own homes. You don’t want or need that nonsense. Being nice to your neighbors just makes life easier.
Do you have even more reasons it’s good to know your neighbors? Let me know in the comments below.
Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.
Wise Bread is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.