5 Fun Ways to Eat Hot Dogs
Recently, the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a policy statement regarding the choking hazards of hot dogs. I agree that parents need to monitor what (and how) their young children eat. However, hot dogs are a pretty inexpensive meal. While I’d never consider them to be a “health food,” they are inexpensive, and you can buy them in varying degrees of fat/nitrates. Tofu dogs could even be substituted in the following recipes.
This recipe comes courtesy of my late mother-in-law. I absolutely love it. My thoughtful husband will make it for me when I’ve had a bad day — it is great comfort food.
- 1 package hot dogs, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 T. olive oil
- One package spaghetti or angel-hair pasta
- One jar of spaghetti sauce
- One green pepper, sliced in strips
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in skillet.
2. Add green pepper and saute until soft.
3. Add hot dogs and heat through.
4. Add spaghetti sauce.
5. In large pot, cook pasta as directed.
5. Drain and return to pot.
6. Serve spaghetti with sauce; sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Hot-Dog Spread Sandwich
Here’s a recipe that will stick to your ribs. My “other mom,” Gayle, used to make this to feed the sheep-shearing crew. That gives you an idea of its heartiness. As these were pre-Cuisinart days, she used a meat grinder to grind the hot dogs.
- 1 package of hot dogs
- 1 package of hot-dog buns
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 3 T. mayonnaise
1. Chop up hot dogs.
2. Combine with other ingredients.
3. Spread 1/4 cup of spread onto bun, wrap in foil and heat in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Polka-dot Mac and Cheese
I don’t think it gets much easier than this (or cheaper).
- 1 box macaroni and cheese
- Four hot dogs, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1. Prepare macaroni and cheese as directed on box.
2. Pour into a casserole dish and top with hot dog slices.
3. Heat in 350-degree oven for twenty minutes.
4. Serve with high degree of perkiness.
Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dog Appetizers
This is a great recipe from allrecipes. Set these down at a party and watch even the food snobs scarf them.
- 10 hot dogs, cut into thirds
- 15 slices bacon, cut in half
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1. Wrap 1/2 slice of bacon around each piece of hot dog. Secure the bacon with a toothpick.
2. Place hot dogs into a slow cooker on low heat. Pour brown sugar over hot dogs, let cook for 5 to 6 hours; until bacon is cooked.
My co-workers ASK me to bring this to office potlucks.
- Two packages of hot dogs, sliced into thirds
- One jar grape jelly
- One jar chili sauce
Combine in crock-pot and heat until bubbly.
I see that hot dogs are on sale again, already. Readers, if you have any suggestions, please share!