7 Modern Reasons to Visit Your Local Library Today
The library is filled with adventure and wonder for kids and adults of all ages. Going to the library is a rewarding pastime that many of us already enjoy. So rather than twiddle your thumbs and wonder what you're going to do on your day off, here's why you should head over to the library.
1. Personal Development
Visiting the library can encourage reading and exploration in children. Children can learn at every turn. Even being responsible for returning books on time can teach some basics of responsibility.
Studies have shown that students who visit the library tend to have better test scores than those who don't. Studies have also shown that reading can aid in brain development in young children, so it's important to read to them and encourage them to read and visit the library from a very young age.
2. Free Stuff
The library is home to a wealth of free items, such as:
- Free newspaper, magazine, audiobook, CD, DVD, and video rentals: You'll have access to much more than just books. It would cost a fortune to try purchasing all of these sources of reading, music, and videos, but fortunately, the library has access to much more than your home library and entertainment center could ever store.
- Free eBooks: Thanks to Amazon's library lending program, you can now check out a Kindle eBook for two weeks before it is deleted from your digital library. It doesn't get much better than that.
- Free Wi-Fi: Who isn't looking for free Wi-Fi every once in awhile?
- Free computer and Internet access: You can research whatever you need and have access to a computer whenever you need it.
- Free adult classes: These can range from academic training like GED classes, to creative ventures like art and poetry classes.
3. Library Events and Programs
Libraries offer all types of events and programs for bookworms. You can enjoy everything from author readings to health workshops. Every library is different, so you can't expect anything in particular, but some activities commonly provided at the library include:
- Author readings for adults and kids
- Poetry circles
- Story circles for kids
- Puppet shows
- Family films
- Special programs for children
- Book discussions
- Reading programs and summer events
- Used book sales
- Workshops like knitting and parenting skills
4. Unusual Discoveries
You can find rare, out-of-print material at your local library that you won't be able to find elsewhere. You'll also be able to find old and used books for sale at a great price, so make sure to keep your eyes open for any of their cheap book sales.
If you haven't been to your local library, you may be shocked to find what kind of food and shopping options they have. For instance, the Los Angeles Public Library has a gift shop, restaurant, and café inside, but it could all be easily missed if you don't know what you're looking for and don't take the time to really map out your library and find out what they offer.
5. Opportunities to Bond With Like-Minded People
The library is full of other bookworms. You can bond over your favorite books and love of literature. Libraries often promote local businesses, so you can also find out more about local artists, businesses, and even book clubs.
And the librarian probably has an abundance of useful information and recommendations. Just let them know what you're looking for and they can help you find the right book or answer any questions you may have. (See also: 17 Cool Jobs for Book Lovers)
6. Quiet Personal Space
We all need a bit of personal space, and the library can provide the quiet reprieve you need. It's a great place for reading, working, researching, or just relaxing. There are always comfy chairs and corners at the library where you can enjoy a great new book and expand your mind.
The library is brightly lit, so you won't have to squint your eyes to see the words on the page. Add that to the cool environment, quiet atmosphere, and endless rows of books, and you've got a very calming way to relieve stress and relax.
7. Book Rentals
Most importantly, once you become a member of your local library, you can rent all the books your heart desires. When there's a book that everyone's buzzing about, or a novel you want to read before it's turned into a film, you can borrow the books for free from your library. Knowing that you need to return the book can also encourage you to finish the book by the return date.
Be honest, after reading a book once, you probably won't read it again. So, it will just take up space on your bookshelf and gather dust. Instead, you can rent a book in any genre, read it, and return it for free. Imagine all the money you'll save.
Do you have other great reasons for visiting the library? Please share your thoughts in the comments!
Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.
Wise Bread is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.