Ask the Readers: Budgets - Are They "Hot" or Not? (Your Chance to Win $10!)
In a past life, I had a circle of friends that were were more "poser" than "investor." The common argument against socking a little cash away for a rainy day was, "That's no fun!" or "How can you get ahead when your money's collecting dust." The allure of a concert ticket far outshone that of a certificate of deposit, and while I did my best to save, I did it in secrecy.
Unfortunately, the girls were a bit worse than the boys. They used every spare penny for manicures, highlights, low-lights, and gym memberships. The reason? To land the guy that would (hopefully) someday pay for the manicures, highlights, low-lights, and gym memberships. They claimed that they invested -- in themselves. But budgets were not only ridiculously lame -- they were horribly unsexy. Luckily, I grew out of those friends, and saving is a goal that my Western Nebraska husband and I share together. Consequently, we think the other one is plenty "hot" -- budgets and savings goals, included.
So what do you think? Was a firm financial goal something that drew you to your significant other? Was it even discussed? Did appearing to "keep up with the Joneses" have any influence on what finally brought you together? How does money, the cliches that surround it, and finding that someone special all get along in today's past-paced, make-more society? Do you even care?
We'd love to hear whether you think budgets, savings, and personal finance topics are hot -- or not. Tell us why, and you will be entered to win a $10 Amazon gift card. (That's enough for a few club mixes -- if you're into that sort of thing.)
Those of you who aren’t familiar with the “drill,” read below for full details:
Win a $10 Amazon Gift Certificate
We're doing two giveaways -- one for random comments, and another one for a random tweets.
How to Enter:
- Post your answer in the comments below, or
- Tweet your answer. Include both "@wisebread" and "#WBAsk" in your tweet so we'll see it and count it.
If you're inspired to write a whole blog post, please link to it in the comments or tweet it.
At the end of the drawing, we'll update this post to include (and link to) all of your helpful responses.
- Contest ends Thursday, August 27th at 11:59am CST. Winners will be announced after August 27th on the original post and via Twitter. Winners will also be contacted via email and Twitter Direct Message.
- You can enter both drawings -- once by leaving a comment and once by tweeting.
- Only tweets that contain both "@wisebread" and "#WBAsk" will be entered. (Otherwise, we won't see it.)