Ask the Readers: Save Money on Rent? (Chance to win $20!)
*** Congrats to our winners! ***
- Comment #14: Take a Drive Around the Block Submitted by bhleigh on March 16, 2010 - 16:17. I recently went looking for a new apartment in Alameda, CA. I had trolled through the local management companies and complexes advertising on Craigslist, which resulted in nothing decent. I called my Father adn asked for some advice. He told me to drive around the block and look for places with signs up. I spent three hours driving aroudn the niehgborhoods and found a great spot. It was not advertised in the paper or online and was half the price of other places with more space. So take a drive through the neighborhood and just might find your new place around the block.
- leofair Try housesitting if your living situation is flexible. That can equal absolutely free or dramatically reduced rent. #wbask
We get a lot of email asking us about apartment-hunting, rental properties, and finding cheap (but lovely) places to rent. As a farmgirl with only a couple of years' experiences in the "rental market," I'm pleased to say I haven't really had to deal with it much. I know that our readers, do, however. What are your tips for finding cheap rent? Do you have stellar solutions for making the most of each square foot? Or maybe you have some advice for getting back your deposit?
We'd love to hear what you have to say. You are the experts! Share your thoughts, either below in the comments or on Twitter, and you could be entered to win one of two Amazon gift cards!
Win a $20 Amazon Gift Certificate
We're doing two giveaways — one for random comments, and another one for a random tweets.
How to Enter:
- Post your answer in the comments below, or
- Tweet your answer. Include both "@wisebread" and "#WBAsk" in your tweet so we'll see it and count it.
If you're inspired to write a whole blog post, please link to it in the comments or tweet it.
At the end of the drawing, we'll update this post to include (and link to) all of your helpful responses.
- Contest ends Friday, March 19th at 11:59 am CST. Winners will be announced after March 19th on the original post and via Twitter. Winners will also be contacted via email and Twitter Direct Message.
- You can enter both drawings — once by leaving a comment and once by tweeting.
- Only tweets that contain both "@wisebread" and "#WBAsk" will be entered. (Otherwise, we won't see it.)