Ask the Readers: Should College Students Have a Credit Card?
This post contains references to products from our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Please visit our Advertiser Disclosure to view our partners, and for additional details.
Building credit at a young age is an important part of having a well-rounded financial picture. College students tend to get bombarded with offers from credit card companies offering incentives like free shirts if they sign up for a credit card. While some students can handle the potential risks of credit cards, others may fall into deep debt if they aren't able to properly use their credit card.
Should college students have a credit card? If yes, what are some good rules of thumb for them to follow? If not, at what age should people get their first credit card?
Tell us if you think college students should have a credit cards and we'll enter you in a drawing to win a $20 Amazon Gift Card!
Win 1 of 3 $20 Amazon Gift Cards
We're doing three giveaways — one for random comments, one for random Facebook "Likes", and another one for random tweets.
- Post your answer in the comments below
For extra entries (1 per action):
- Go to our Facebook page, "Like" us, and leave a comment on this article telling us you did, or
- Tweet your answer. You have to be a follower of our @wisebread account. Include both "@wisebread" and "#WBAsk" in your tweet so we'll see it and count it. Leave a link to your tweet (click the timestamp for the individual URL) in a separate comment.
If you're inspired to write a whole blog post OR you have a photo on flickr to share, please link to it in the comments or tweet it.
- Contest ends Monday, September 3rd at 11:59 pm Pacific. Winners will be announced after September 3rd on the original post. Winners will also be contacted via email.
- You can enter all three drawings — once by leaving a comment, once by liking our Facebook update, and once by tweeting.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered, or associated with Facebook.
- You must be 18 and US resident to enter. Void where prohibited.
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any bank, card issuer, airline or hotel chain.