"We do live fairly modestly for our income. Our mortgage payment is about 1/6 of our monthly income, and we live well within our means. But I think people would be shocked to know our income because they don't realize how much I make as a freelance writer. We don't spread the information around, and just try to live mostly incognito."
Ask the Readers: Would People Be Shocked By What You Earn?
********The winners of the $10 Amazon Gift Card are:
- Tweet from @InMyOwnWorld " Nothing shocking about this salary! But I think most people assume I make more than I do"
It happens all the time. People are amazed that my husband and I can live on such a very limited income. (In fact, my friends from urban areas are usually amazed that the majority of people in my rural community live well under the poverty line -- and some do very well with it!) Other times, I witness families just barely struggling to get by -- who also make an hefty income and are unsure where it all goes.
You don't have to live on either end of the earning spectrum to challenge the stigmas attached with your annual salary. Sometimes, we can fool others into thinking our lifestyle matches our paycheck by the choices we make publicly and privately. Would your friends and family be surprised to know how much (or how little) you make? Or is it pretty obvious that you're either rolling in the dough... or rolling in bed over agony of how you'll pay your bills?
We want to know if people would be shocked to hear how much you make. You don't have to divulge details (or even which way you are perceived.) Just give us a sign that "Yes! My lifestyle is in no way a reflection of my paycheck. And that's a good/bad thing." Are you happy with how you are perceived? Would you change it if you could?
Share your thoughts here in our comment thread or on Twitter, and you'll be entered to win one of two $10 Amazon giveaways. It won't fool anyone into thinking you're rich if you're not... but it's a great way slash your bill the next time you're buying supplies online. Dozens of readers have already won. You could be next!
Win a $10 Amazon Gift Certificate
We're doing two giveaways -- one for random comments, and another one for a random tweets.
How to Enter:
- Post your answer in the comments below, or
- Tweet your answer. Include both "@wisebread" and "#WBAsk" in your tweet so we'll see it and count it.
If you're inspired to write a whole blog post, please link to it in the comments or tweet it.
At the end of the drawing, we'll update this post to include (and link to) all of your helpful responses.
- Contest ends Thursday, September 24th at 11:59 am CST. Winners will be announced after September 24th on the original post and via Twitter. Winners will also be contacted via email and Twitter Direct Message.
- You can enter both drawings -- once by leaving a comment and once by tweeting.
- Only tweets that contain both "@wisebread" and "#WBAsk" will be entered. (Otherwise, we won't see it.)
Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.