Cheap and Easy Halloween Costumes for Kids
I love Halloween but hate paying high prices for kids' costumes. Over the years, I have managed to create a few costumes cheaply without tapping into my extremely sparse (nonexistent?) sewing and craft skills. Here are some costume ideas (suitable for kids of various ages) that could save you money with minimal effort.
A Halloween make-up kit is all you may need to buy, depending on what types of clothing and props you may already have at home. For inexpensive accessories, visit your local dollar store or thrift shop.
cover photo by pnoeric
- Put black make-up under the eyes to simulate eye black
- Wear football jersey (add white football pants or solid-colored sweatpants that match jersey)
- Carry a prop such as a football or helmet
photo by ThrasherDave
- Wear solid-colored clothing; add a tunic with crest if you have one
- Carry shield, helmet, and toy sword (we have these around the house but if you don't, check out the dollar store)
photo by goldberg
- Cut white sheets to proper length for your child
- Decorate with cute or scary faces (shown here: angry and sad) or cut out a section in the middle for the head so that the sheet fits like a poncho
photo by Mykl Rovertine
- Dress in stripes with contrasting solid colors (here: striped skirt with white shirt and black tights and black shoes; or go with a striped shirt with black pants)
- Add accessories such as an eyepatch, pirate's hat, and/or toy sword
photo by divemasterking2000
- Slick back hair with hair gel, mousse, or Pomade
- Wear white t-shirt and jeans
- Add leather jacket if you have one
- Wear full skirt with solid-colored blouse
- Put on a polyester scarf
- Wear short socks (or bobby socks) with sneakers
photo by Beau B
- Apply base of white make-up to face, surround outside of eyes with black, and make a smile with red make-up
- Wear a cheap suit or sport jacket with pants and tie (try Goodwill to find an inexpensive suit)
Photo by charlotte.marillet
- Dress in a cute outfit (I especially like the pink)
- Place tiara on head and wand in hand
photo by e m i photoart
- Wear psychedelic clothing (try something multi-colored with a flowery or tie-dyed motif)
- Put on layers of beads
More costume ideas:
Clever Homemade Costumes (grown-ups)
Costumes from things you already own (grown-ups)
Homemade Halloween makeup (very gross but I like the Joker idea)
Do you have simple, fast, and inexpensive costume ideas? Share them in the comments.
Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.
Wise Bread is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.