Extra Income Opportunity: Online Tutoring
[Editor's note: If you recently lost your job, take a look at Wise Bread's collection of tips and resources for the recently laid off.]
Do you have an area of expertise and a desire for some extra income? Are you good with concepts and do you like to work with students from elementary school to post-graduate levels? If so, you might have an opportunity to make some money on the side (or even full-time) from the comfort of your home. (See also: Easy Ways to Make Money Online)
Online tutoring is a fast-growing industry, enabled by the age of convenience and high-speed internet connections. By scheduling private tutoring sessions online with your students (once a week for example), you and your students can achieve the same results of an in-person tutoring session — except you can both do it from home. No commuting through snowstorms, no appointments missed because of traffic, and environmental expenses of transportation are reduced too (as an added bonus). (See also: Cost-Conscious Commuting Options)
You use the following tools during an online tutoring session:
- Instant messaging
- Interactive whiteboard applications
- File sharing
- Chat mechanisms
Although you can work part time or full time as a tutor, most people do it on a part time basis. And although it's casual work, it can't be treated casually. You are usually required to be available for your students consistently week to week throughout the school year. (See also: How to Sell to the Educational Market)
Some of the requirements expected of you include (not all apply, depending on the organization):
- University degree or equivalent Professional designation
- Background checks
If you are intrigued by this career possibility, below is a collection of online tutoring companies that may be a good fit for you. It is by no means an exhaustive list, so (as usual), make sure you do some research before jumping in.
- Countries of operation: US & Canada
- Topics: English, Math, Science, Social Studies
- Required Credentials: University or Professional degree
- They will pay for training.
- Pay is based on hours spent tutoring.
Find more info at Tutor.com.
- Countries of operation: US & UK
- Topics: Math, English, Language Arts, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Integrated Science, and others
- Required Credentials: Masters degree
- Doesn't pay for training.
Find more info at Tutor Vista.
Class of 1
- Topics: Math, Physics, English, Chemistry, Economics, Statistics, Accounts, Finance, Human Resources Management, Corporate Strategy and Marketing Management
- Required Experience: Classroom teaching experience in High School/ College/ Graduate/ Post Graduate
- Required Credentials: Minimum Post graduate degree in the subject with English Medium education
Find more info at Class of 1.
- Countries of operation: US
- Topics: Accounting, Economics, Finance, Medical Assisting, Neuroscience, Nursing, Medical Surgery, Pharmacology, Online Writing Lab, Spanish
- Required Commitment: Prefer minimum of 9 hours/week
- Paid training (10-15 hours)
Find more info at Smart Thinking.
- Topics: Math & Science
I was unable to find any further information about credentials or commitments required.
Find more info at Tutorzilla.
- Countries of Operation: US & Canada
- Topics: Wide variety of topics
Sylvan, obviously already a recognized name in the tutoring business, is now operating online too.
Find more info at Sylvan Learning.
This service is simply a portal connecting tutors (in all subject areas) with students. They cover the gambit of live tutoring, as well as email tutoring and live online tutoring.
You pay for membership to be listed as a tutor. They guarantee to send you tutor requests or they'll extend your membership for free.
Find more info at Tutor Nation.
If you are looking for teaching experience (or to supplement your existing teaching repertoire), online tutoring may be a way for you to expand your horizons and help a student in the meantime. (See also: Great Jobs for College Students)
Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.
Wise Bread is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.