Free entertainment all over town
For the LA natives in the crowd, don't miss the free Downtown on Ice events at Pershing Square, going on until January 12.
Enjoy a movie under the stars on Wednesday nights, starting at 7:00 pm. Or you can pay the $6 to get in the rink and watch from center ice. Upcoming flicks:
- 12/13 - Beauty and the Beast's "Enchanted Christmas"
- 12/20 - It's a Wonderful Life
- 12/27 - E.T.
- 1/3 - Nanny McPhee
- 1/10 - Dr. Suess' "The Cat in the Hat"
Thursday and Friday nights is concert night. Various local bands play under the stars, and again, the price is free! If you can't make it downtown after dark, check out the lunchtime concerts every Tuesday and Thursday at noon.
To find cheap entertainment options in LA, I depend on the following:
- LA Times Calendar Live - The expanded entertainment section of the LA Times.
- LA Weekly - free paper with an invaluable guide to plays and other stage shows. A $10 play you've never heard of can be much more fun than the latest $150 Disney musical!
- LAist.com events - has sister sites for NYC (Gothamist.com), San Fransisco (SFist.com), Shanghai (Shanghaiist.com) and more.
- losanjealous.com concert listings
Just because you'd like to hear a live band or watch some real people act on stage doesn't mean you need to shell out hundreds of dollars. There are plenty of free or near-free entertainment options all over town.
What resources do you use to find interesting events for your town?