How Much Caffeine is in That?
Whether you're trying to avoid your own caffeine intake due to breastfeeding, pregnancy, or health reasons, or trying to keep your kids from ingesting more than their fair share, here's a list of a few everyday items and their caffeine content. (See also: 7 Nutrients You Need More Of)
Coffee varies in caffeine content drastically, even in the same coffeehouse, on the same day. Everything from roast styles to brewing methods affect the amount of caffeine you get. The lighter the roast, the more caffeine it has.
- Starbucks (Grande) iced coffee, 16 oz: 190 mg. This is double-brewed. Without the ice it contains 380mg.
- Starbucks brewed coffee, 16 oz: 330 mg. Brewed coffee has 50% more caffeine on average than instant coffee.
- Instant coffee, 16 oz: 60-345mg
- Starbucks latte, 16 oz: 150mg
- Starbucks espresso, 1 oz (1 shot): 58-75mg
The longer a tea is steeped, the higher the caffeine content. If after the first steep, you add more hot water to the tea or tea bag, the tea becomes almost entirely decaffeinated.
- Starbucks Tazo chai tea latte, 16 oz: 100 mg
- Regular black tea, 8 oz: 40-120 mg
- Stash green tea, 18 oz: 78 mg
- Snapple iced tea, 16 oz: 18 mg
- 12 oz Nestea: 17 mg
- Decaffeinated black tea, 8 oz: 2 mg
All drinks are 12 oz servings
- Mountain Dew: 54 mg
- Mello Yello: 53 mg
- Diet Coke: 47 mg
- Tab: 47 mg
- Dr Pepper: 42-44 mg
- Sunkist Orange: 42 mg
- Pepsi: 36-38 mg
- Coke: 35 mg
- A&W Cream Soda: 29 mg
- Barq's Root Beer: 23 mg
- A&W Root Beer: 0 mg
- 7-Up: 0 mg
- Sprite: 0 mg
- Mug Root Beer: 0 mg
- Fanta: 0 mg
- No Name (formerly known as Cocaine), 8.4 oz: 280 mg
- Monster Energy, 16 oz: 160 mg
- Full Throttle, 16 oz: 144 mg
- Enviga, 12 oz: 100 mg
- No Fear, 8 oz: 83 mg
- Rockstar, 8 oz: 80 mg
- Red Bull, 8.3 oz: 76 mg
- AMP, 8.4 oz: 74 mg
- Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate, 1.45 oz: 31 mg
- Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar, 1.55 oz: 9mg
- Ben and Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch, 8 oz: 84 mg
- Haagen-Daz Coffee Ice Cream, 8 oz: 58 mg
- Starbucks Coffee Ice Cream, 8 oz: 50-60 mg
- No Doz, 1 Tablet: 200 mg
- Excedrin Extra Strength, 2 tablets: 130 mg
- Anacin Maximum Strength, 2 tablets: 64 mg
- Midol Maximum Strength: 60 mg
Things get a little tricky when it comes to what has caffeine and what doesn't. I knew Barq's Root Beer had caffeine, but didn't know that A&W Cream Soda has it as well. And just to confuse matters more, A&W Regular Root Beer is caffeine free. Also surprising was the caffeine content in Sunkist Orange. This list will help you keep the caffeine out of little hands (because they absolutely do not need it), and keep the buzz where it belongs — in your hectic, parental world.
This list was compiled with help from the Mayo Clinic article on caffeine content.
This is a post from our sister blog, Parenting Squad. Visit Parenting Squad for more great posts:
Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.