How to Buy Used Furniture
This article shares tips from the newest episode of Dealista, our podcast that'll help you get more for less.
Furniture can be an expensive purchase. With so many people listing their used items for sale, why not give it a try? But there are some things to look out for before you give up cash for that previously-owned piece of furniture.
1. Sofas or living room furniture made from pine lumber: This isn’t solid enough to support the weight of some people, and most definitely won’t survive another move.
2. Sofas with mesh support or Styrofoam peanuts instead of cushions: Need we really say more?
3. Chairs with joints that have been stapled: Look for glue and bolts to signify that a piece has been put together with care, and will last for many years to come!
4. Lamps that freak out when you plug them in: You don’t want a fire on your hands, do you?
5. Cribs: With so many recalls, it’s better to be safe than sorry!
6. Mattresses: So many things can live in there (bedbugs, odor, and more!). It’s best to skip this one.
While we love the idea of repurposing old furniture, some items aren’t meant to be used for anything other than their original purpose. Be mindful of whether pieces will be exposed to dust, heat, or moisture before you place it in your home.
Looking for the rest of our guidelines? Check out all of our Quick and Dirty tips in our most recent episode, How to Buy Used Furniture.
If you enjoyed these tips you can find more in our show's archive.
Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.
Wise Bread is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.