Hot Today

Wise Bread articles that are hot today.

Free Prostate Cancer prevention readily available

98% of men say they do it; the other 2% are lying. But far from it being something to be embarrassed about, researchers have strong indications that this very common activity could

Beyond the Slow Cooker: 10 Eco- and Budget-Friendly Household Helpers That Progress Left Behind

Cleaning? Cooking? Ugh, you say. Make friends with it, compadre; they’ve got to be part of the frugal warrior’s toolkit. I look for ways to make it easier and cheaper, because when

What if energy costs keep rising?

Recession or not, I think the medium-term trend in energy costs is up.  Just in case I'm right, you ought to have plan for that.

How to Get a Truly Free Credit Report

If you want a truly free credit report, ignore the clever ads and go straight to the source — where there are no strings attached.

7 Things I'd Love to Change About Meetings

We can't rid the world of meetings, but we can make them shorter, painless, and more effective with these 7 great tips.

If It’s Not Sunny In Philadelphia, It’s Free!

A strange but alluring new deal from Priceline.com guarantees you won’t get rained out on your summer vacation. Get the details on this (potentially) shiny, happy refund offer!

How to Break Bad Habits

Breaking a bad habit doesn't cost a dime but might save you plenty while boosting your confidence and your social capital. Learn how with these five easy steps.

When it Pays to Call in the Experts

I'm pretty good around the house. I can make most small, household repairs, and have even been known to take on a larger DIY project or two to save a buck. However, I know my lim

Simplicity and being cheap

People might look at how I spend money and say I'm cheap or a tightwad. If they do, though, they're missing the point. The fact is, I'm much more interested in simplicity than I

The Jury Duty Scam – coming to a phone near you?

My wife forwarded me one of those “hey everyone, don’t fall for this” emails this morning. I get one from a friend or relative at least once a week, and usually they’re well-meanin

Book Talk On “The Offsite: A Leadership Challenge Fable”

The Offsite is a quirky quick read, a short novel by leadership consultant Robert H. Thompson. There are no talking animals or inanimate objects that adopt human characteristics a

The Art of Wearing Things Out, and Then Some

I've grown up hearing the phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It never occurred to me that this saying could apply to a frugal lifestyle. How often do you really wear some

Best Money Tips: Frugal Father's Day Gift Ideas

Today we found some fantastic articles on frugal Father's Day gift ideas, tips that will save you hundreds on your next trip, and ways to save on your beauty regimens.

Ask @WiseBread a Question for Chance to Win a iPhone 5s or GS4

Ask our finance expert Jeff Rose (CFP) a personal finance question over Twitter. Contest ends tomorrow!

Poisonous Infant Formula May Be Closer Than You Think

The FDA recently issued a warning against infant formula produced in China. With our current regulations, it seems that there would be no chance of the average consumer even havin

10 Home Renovations That Almost Pay for Themselves

If you'd like to make some home improvements now and recoup those costs when you sell, these are the 10 renovations that earn the best return.

We just need to vote

Barack Obama is sounding more presidential with every speech.  When his supporters booed John McCain, he responded not with glee or bitterness, but with class. "No, we don't need that," said Obama.  The boos die down a bit. [more]

9 Fun Activities to Help You Tighten Up Your Work Skills

Want to improve your resume and general workplace awesomeness? Try taking on one of these fun (and surprisingly useful) activities.

What will you do when gas drops below $1.50 a gallon?

Several months ago, I wrote an article asking what you would do when gas prices skyrocketed. Now, the price of gasoline is in freefall. It’s already dipped below $2/gallon in some

Roundup: Thanksgiving Survival

'Tis the season for family and food, but also family and food-related stress. Here are some tips that will help get you through the next few months with grace, beauty, and health.