The Science of Sexy: Review of the Bradley Bayou Book
Before I start, I have to admit to a bit of preliminary bias. I expected to like this book before it ever arrived from the publisher. With Mr. Bayou’s extensive experience, and the minor to moderate fashion miracles I’d seen him accomplish on the CBS “glam-bush” makeovers, I was sure I would pick up a few tips. What I did not expect was for this book to exceed my expectations so drastically. The Science of Sexy completely blew me away. Keep reading to find out why.
Why do I think it’s fabulous?
- First, it provides some serious precision power shopping tools. Whether you shop at Rodeo Drive or the really cheap yard sale around the corner, you’ll be armed with information to help you shop smart.
- Knowledge is power. It’s also a heck of a time saver. Knowing what styles and types of clothing you need makes for better up front purchases and shaves tremendous amounts of “trying on to find out” time.
- Increased investment potential. If you are ready or in a position to start investing in some seriously high quality classic wardrobe items, you need information to pick the right ones and know that you are splurging on items that are worth your initial cash outlay.
- A resource for all stages. As your body type changes for whatever reason such as gaining or losing weight, you’ll be able to shop for your new size and body features with confidence.
- Every. Single. Body type. Really, I mean it.
- Multiple look strategies for formal, casual or career.
- A full blown glossary of the various types of bags, necklaces, dresses, etc. This comes in very handy as a cross reference for what the book refers to as your body type’s “fitting room”, where Mr. Bayou spells out exactly which types of things you should wear and why.
- How to avoid the “uniboob”. To all of my fellow large breasted women readers . . . you know of what I speak.
- Loads of “reveal or conceal” strategies for hiding flaws and showing off assets.
- Bradley’s ten “dress sexy” commandments.
- Specific techniques for how to check a piece for quality fabric and make. (Great for shopping second hand.)
Sneak peek at some of Mr. Bayou’s fashion tips?
- V-neck tops work for every woman.
- Everyone needs a little black dress.
- At least one of your pairs of jeans (he recommends owning three pairs) should be hemmed to wear with a pair of high heels for casual dress-up.
- Do NOT skimp on proper undergarments. Ever.
This is an incredibly empowering book. And while I’ve never met Mr. Bayou, I can’t imagine anyone could have put this much precision and detail into such a user friendly book if they weren’t completely passionate about their work. For the first time, I feel I can shop online or from catalogs without it being a total crapshoot. I also feel like I could take these charts and checklists along whether I was shopping at a high end mall store or a yard sale down the street.
A five star, hell yeah, Viking yell, two thumbs up, worth the splurge endorsement.
Dude, when are you doing a men’s version? Thanks to Bradley Bayou and Gotham Books for such a fabulous resource!