Articles on Frugal Living

Mama Mia! Mother's Day Gifts that Show You Really Care

For a holiday that's supposed to celebrate the precious relationship between a mother and her child, there sure is a lot to distract me from that relationship. Over the years, I

Use Less Cash for Your JCPenney Purchase

A favorite retailer of households across the country since 1902, JCPenney can have some stellar deals for those in the know. Like most stores, JCPenney has a met

Best Money Tips: Why Annual Budgets Are Better Than Monthly Ones

Welcome to Wise Bread's Best Money Tips roundup. This week, learn how to start your own eBay store, discover why annual budgets are better than monthly ones, and find $1,200 wor

Looking for Answers in Life? Here's your Key...

So many of us are feeling stuck in our lives, searching for something we seem to flirt with and skirt arou

Stop dissing Spam!

Is it me, or are most people a bunch of Spam snobs? I admit it’s not filet mignon or a piece of finely seared Ahi Tuna, but come on people! It’s not that bad. In fact, I love it, a

Budgeting in a time of inflation

My very first experience running a household was in 1980, just as the last big inflation was spiking up over 10%.  My carefully constructed budget was completely destroyed by price

The Dichotomy of Media Messages

When I had an occasion to watch some television recently, I was absolutely horrified with what I saw. Read on for the details...

The many uses for empty plastic bottles

It's been a while since I did one of these video compilation posts, and the subject at hand is more than worthwhile. I thought I'd look around for innovative and inventive

Book review: Work Less, Live More

Early retirement is a topic I've always been interested in.  The particular version of it that this book deals with--living well on less money, as a means to getting by wit

The Best (Inexpensive) Souvenirs

As a rule, we don’t buy souvenirs for their usefulness. A t-shirt from the Hard Rock Café or a shell sculpture from Hawaii isn’t going to increase your productivity — in fact, dust

2012 is Coming: What Are You Doing About It?

There are a number of clues and theories being tossed around to support the idea that December 21st, 2012 may mark the “end of days”. The question is: What do you choose to believe

Book Review: Big Green Purse & Giveaway

I have four copies of Big Green Purse to give away. In it, Diane MacEachern offers a simple message: Use your spending power to create a cleaner, greener world. Of course, many of

Pricing Eggs, and New Egg Products

During my last trip to the grocery market, there was a sign in the egg case announcing that, yes, the price of eggs are rising. I’m guessing that there have been a few complaints.

Free Prostate Cancer prevention readily available

98% of men say they do it; the other 2% are lying. But far from it being something to be embarrassed about, researchers have strong indications that this very common activity could

Get Paid for your Psychic Skills at Predictify

My ex-coworker told me that he is applying to a new startup called Predictify. He showed me their website and I was intrigued. Basically, the company lets people predict events t

The Same Actions Will Produce The Same Results (Ten Tenets for Arranging Your Rich: Part 2)

A while back I posted the first of what I promised would be "Ten Tenets to Arranging Your Rich". And wouldn't you know it, right after posting Tenet #1, things got

Tips For Starting (Or Jumpstarting) Your Exercise Regimen

How are your resolutions to get fit, exercise more, and lose weight going? If you need a nudge or some encouragement, check out my doable-with-a-busy-schedule approach to getting r

Why You Should Donate a Blood Sucking Timeshare

My parents always told me that buying a timeshare is a bad idea because of the inflated upfront cost and perpetual maintenance and exchange fees the timeshare companies pile on.

Hungry? Have a drink.

The chances are, you're dehydrated right now. In fact, over 75% of the American population is deyhdrated, and worse still, over 80% know they are. No big deal? Well, it is actu

Getting Around the Guidebook: Techniques for Researching your Trip Without Spending a Fortune

If you are planning a big trip with multiple countries on the itinerary, purchasing a