Which Baby Products are a Waste of Money?
My husband and I are expecting a little baby boy this Halloween. Right now I am in the process of researching which baby products are necessary and which are a waste of money. Here is a list of things that I would not be putting on my shopping list.
1. Too many tiny baby clothes - Baby clothes are awfully cute, but babies grow out of them very quickly. I have learned from a few friends that their babies were given so many onesies that some of them where not even worn before the baby got too big. I think a few outfits of each size would be enough.
2. Baby shoes - These are also very cute, but the baby is not going to be walking for about a year so they are not practical at all. These can also be quite expensive and I think it is better to save the money in the baby's college fund.
3. "Educational" DVDs for babies - The American Academy of Pediatrics actually recommends that babies under two should not watch TV. I have seen some of the popular Baby Einstein videos and I think that they make very little sense and their educational value is somewhat questionable. I could probably put on a better puppet show for my baby with a couple socks and some colorful construction paper.
4. Changing table - I do not really understand the purpose of buying another table just for changing. I see my friends change their kids on the floor, bed, or couch. They put down a little blanket or mat and change their kids very quickly.
5. Wipe warmer - I saw this product on the Babies R Us website and I thought it was funny that such a thing exists. Is it really bad to wipe a baby's bottom with a room temperature wipe? I certainly do not warm my toilet paper, and I am fine.
6. Nursery decoration - I have seen some very expensive designer mobiles for sale online. I think these things are actually a hinderance if you hang them above a crib. We are also keeping the baby in our room so we will not be doing any wallpapering or painting since the baby will not care about the decor anyway.
7. Swing - Most of the swings I have seen are quite small so I think the baby will grow out of it very quickly. It also takes up a lot of space and can be expensive. Other moms have also told me that some of their babies do not like swings.
8. WhyCry Baby Crying Analyzer - This is a fancy baby monitor that supposedly analyzes if your baby is hungry, bored, annoyed, tired, or stressed. This is really another product that made me chuckle a bit. Babies seem to usually cry due to hunger or discomfort so if this analyzer just displays "hungry" all the time it would be correct for a good percentage of time.
9. Diaper Genie - Some people swear by this product which is a plastic container that compacts diapers and seals them in. It seems like it would be much more economical to just walk the dirty diaper to the outside trashcan and dump it there.
I am sure there are many more frivolous products for babies. Carrie (who just had a baby boy a few days ago!) wrote up a great list of baby registry tips. Right now my husband and I are really trying to keep things down to the basics, and this baby basics list from Consumer Reports is very good. Even with this list it is quite overwhelming to step into a store like Babies R Us and seeing the plethora of products there are. Even the basics have huge variances in prices. In the end I think babies definitely need love and care more than things.
What baby products have you found to be completely unnecessary? Which baby related purchase did you regret the most?
Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.