Zooomr (Flickr on Steroids) still offers free pro accounts
Many digital photography buffs are hailing Zooomr as "Flickr on Steroids."
Now you can get a free Zooomr Pro account for one year.
Besides your e-mail address, you don't have to give them any personal or financial information. This isn't one of those scams where they ask you for your credit card number for, you know, "verification" purposes.
How does Zooomr Pro compare to Flickr Pro?
Flickr's pro account costs $24.95 per year ($47.99 for two years) and
only allows 2 GB of uploads per month offers unlimited uploads.
Zooomr, on the other hand, offers its service one year for free with 4 GB monthly upload limit.
In addition to the price factor, several bloggers have pointed out that Zooomr also offers:
- Better user interface
- Faster speed
- Geotagging mash-up with Google Maps
- Ability to add mp3 or wav file to a photo
- Social networking where you can tag people in photos and rank their popularity
Before you switch to Zooomr, don't forget to consider the fact that this is only a one year free membership and Zooomr is only in beta.
If you are a prolific photographer, it may be a pain to move all your stuff off Zooomr if you find out later that Zooomr isn't for you, or worse yet, if Zooomr goes out of business like so many other web 2.0 startups.
Even though Flickr costs more, it is run by Yahoo, so it is less likely to go out of business.
Edited to add: I just went through the process myself and it only took 5 minutes:
- After signing up for a free Zooomr account, I uploaded the picture below to Zooomr.
- I then copy-pasted the custom Zooomr code into this blog entry
- Finally I copy-pasted this blog entry's URL here.
Voila! I now have a pro account.