Cleaning Out for a Cause: Make a Noncash Tax-Deductible Donation

Photo: Joe Green

If you've ever thought about moving during December, I have one contraction for you: don't. I was stupid enough to do so this year, taking the stress of hauling my belongings to a new apartment, finding a storage unit, and trying to remember how my bed frame fits together and adding it to an already busy schedule of shopping, baking, and holiday parties.

There is, however, one great thing about moving during December: It forced me to go through my belongings and make a substantial goods donation to my local Goodwill store. Since Goodwill is a registered 501(c)(3) charity organization, I can deduct the value of what I donated to them when I submit my taxes in April (er, did I say April? March. I'll definitely get them in by March this year).

If you're thinking of donating gently used clothing, furniture, or other items before the end of 2010, here's what you need to know:

Make Sure the Charity You Donate to Is Eligible

Not every thrift store is a registered 501(c)(3) organization. Before you donate your goods, call the store to make sure that donations to them are indeed tax deductible, and read more about qualified organizations on the IRS website.

Make a List of What You're Donating

Just in case you fall under the watchful, auditing eye of the IRS, always keep a detailed list of what you've donated so you can back up any deduction claims.

Be Reasonable in Estimating the Value of Goods

When you're figuring out how much to claim as a deduction, you need to estimate what the IRS refers to as the “fair market value” of each item. For example, if you're donating a used pair of jeans that you bought for $40, their fair market value isn't going to be $40 — more likely $3-$10. If you need help estimating the fair market value of your goods, take a walk around a thrift store and see how items are priced.

Give Useful Items

Charities like Goodwill have to go through a lot of stuff, and it makes their job even more difficult if you bring in your broken printer and pass it off as working just because you want to claim it as a tax deduction. If something is broken and unrepairable, don't give it to a charity to deal with.

Get a Receipt

Always, always, always get a receipt from the charity you're donating to. You can't claim your deduction without it.

Fill Out the Appropriate IRS Form

According to the IRS, "If your total deduction for all noncash contributions for the year is over $500, you must complete section A of Form 8238" (PDF). If you are deducting one item that is worth over $5,000, you must complete Section B of the same form.

So take a day to clear out your closets, and make sure to get your donations in by December 31. It'll help you have a happy new year with less taxes — and less clutter.

Average: 3.5 (16 votes)
Your rating: None

Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.

Wise Bread is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to

Andrea Karim's picture

We are about to engage in a massive purging of our belongings. Hopefully, it will result in some space to move around and a small deduction on our (surely misery-inducing) taxes this year.

Guest's picture

Turbo Tax actually has an itemized form for clothing that you've donated, complete with the fair market value. The items have to be "high" or "medium" in value. I had about six bags of clothing to go through, but when I was done I had an itemized list. The clothing was worth almost 600 bucks! Granted, most of the stuff was high value but I'd say this system is well worth the trouble. Gotta love Turbo Tax!

Guest's picture

Almost forgot-I donated to the Salvation Army and keep my receipt with the list. That way if the IRS does come calling, no worries!

Guest's picture

Great Article. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where I can find a blank "2014 IRS Instruction 8283" to fill out?

Guest's picture

Hey Beulah, I found a blank fillable IRS Instruction 8283 here: