Ask The Readers: Are You Getting Your Tax Refund this Year? (Answer to win $10!)
Winners update!! -- Congrats to the following winning submissions:
No Refund.. Submitted by Misty (comment #32): "We aren't getting a refund this year, we adjusted our tax form so we paid a little bit and got more money to use during the year."
- @coloradoeyes: "I plan yearly with accountant 2 get as close 2 $0 refund as possible. I want 2 earn interest on $, not let the govt."
There's been a lot of buzz online about tax refunds lately. Some filers of 2008 returns are finding out that they can't even get their own state refund, due to issues with state budgets. Others have been keen to coming problems for some time, rushing to their employers to demand the maximum deductions and even getting their Earned Income Credit payments coming through their paychecks.
As questions of solvency and preparedness begin to become mainstream in every household, what can tax-payers do to avoid granting the government an interest-free loan on our own money? Do you even care? What can you recommend for the uncertain future? We want to hear about it!
Do you have a tip for making sure your tax money comes back to you at the end of every year? Are you a stickler for making sure you get your tax money up-front, either by claiming huge deductions or even exempt status? Are you likely to hand everything over to your accountant and say, "Here you go. Let me know how it turns out?" Do you have some special advice for the self-employed? Or are you someone who LIKES getting it all back in one lump sum, as part of a informal savings plan? Give us your views and insights into tax refunds now (before the year runs out), and we'll enter you to win one of two $10 gift cards from Amazon!
Those of you who aren’t familiar with the “drill,” read below for full details:
Win a $10 Amazon Gift Certificate
We're doing two giveaways -- one for random comments, and another one for a random tweets.
How to Enter:
- Post your answer in the comments below, or
- Tweet your answer. Include both "@wisebread" and "#WBAsk" in your tweet so we'll see it and count it.
If you're inspired to write a whole blog post, please link to it in the comments or tweet it.
At the end of the drawing, we'll update this post to include (and link to) all of your helpful responses.
- Contest ends Thursday, July 30th at 11:59am CST. Winners will be announced after July 30th on the original post and via Twitter. Winners will also be contacted via email and Twitter Direct Message.
- You can enter both drawings -- once by leaving a comment and once by tweeting.
- Only tweets that contain both "@wisebread" and "#WBAsk" will be entered. (Otherwise, we won't see it.)
Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.