Ask the Readers: Do you Procrastinate? (Win an $89 Tax Prep Prize!)
Do you procrastinate? I admit I put many things off until the last minute (like my taxes). If you have found yourself STILL not done with your return, check out these last-minute tips from HR Block:
- Life changes can mean tax savings. If you bought a home, got a paycheck, invested in higher education or are a parent, you could take advantage of several tax incentives for your 2009 filing.
- It's not too late to impact your taxes by April 15. There are three things you can do now to impact your 2009 return: contribute to an IRA, health savings account or buy a home.
- Filing an extension is not an extension to pay. If you file an extension, you have until Oct. 15 to submit a completed tax return. But to avoid failure-to-pay penalties, taxpayers should estimate their bill and send at least 90 percent of what they owe with the extension by the April 15 filing deadline.
- Don't overlook key deductions.Taxpayers might not realize they can deduct certain medical expenses, job search expenses, charitable donations, and state and local taxes.
- Taxes are complicated, but there's help! With nearly 300 new tax law changes this year, taxpayers may need help figuring out whether they're getting all the credits and deductions they're due.
What other things do you put off? Besides taxes, is there something that you just don't seem to do until the very last moment? We'd love to hear your comments? If you've blogged about this recently, feel free to link to your post or article! Share your thoughts, either below in the comments or on Twitter, and you could be entered to win an H&R Block Premium software product valued at $89 or a $20 Amazon gift card!
Win an H&R Block software product (ARV $89) or a $20 Amazon gift card:
We're doing two giveaways — one for random comments, and another one for a random tweets.
How to Enter:
- Post your answer in the comments below and be sure to tell us which prize you'd like to win, or
- Tweet your answer. Include both "@wisebread" and "#WBAsk" in your tweet so we'll see it and count it. (Please also indicate "GC" or "Tax" to let us know which prize you want.)
If you're inspired to write a whole blog post, please link to it in the comments or tweet it.
At the end of the drawing, we'll update this post to include (and link to) all of your helpful responses.
- Contest ends Friday, April 9th at 11:59 am CST. Winners will be announced after April 9th on the original post and via Twitter. Winners will also be contacted via email and Twitter Direct Message.
- You can enter both drawings — once by leaving a comment and once by tweeting.
- Only tweets that contain both "@wisebread" and "#WBAsk" will be entered. (Otherwise, we won't see it.)