Germ Killin' Machine
Guarding against germs doesn't have to be a chemical-filled experience. To get rid of germs in your kitchen sponge (and there ARE germs in you kitchen sponge), do the following:
- Soak the sponge with water (this is key - not doing so poses a significant fire risk).
- Place the sponge on a microwave-safe plate.
- Stick it in the microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes.
- Don't even TRY to pick it up with your fingers. Use a pair of tongs to remove it from the microwave and leave it to cool or soak it in cold water before using.
*Make sure the sponge doesn't contain metal, even though lots of modern microwaves don't mind metal.*
If nuking the sponge kind of creeps you out or creates so nasty smells (if it does, stop the heating immediately), try boiling it in a little clean water instead. I don't keep a sponge for more than three weeks anyway, but I boil it at least twice a week to kill germs.
AND I use a different sponge for my dogs' dishes.
(Photo by dalasie)