Being Healthy Can Have Big Cash Rewards
I recently became a member of my wife’s gym. I had always hesitated — being a frugal person I preferred to work out at home with a few weights and some exercise DVDs. But, when I did join, I found out that my membership gives back in more ways than just my health. Cha-ching!
My reasons for joining the gym were many and varied. It was a chance to spend more time with my wife and children, it was much easier to stay motivated in that environment, and family membership was very affordable. However, I was surprised that no one at the gym told me about all the savings I get as a member. And in my case, they’re huge.
For the record, my gym is called LifeTime Fitness (and it would be fair to say it’s way more than a gym, it’s more of a leisure center). A great guy called Ryan helped me convert my wife's membership into a family plan, and that probably explains why he didn't bring up the benefits of belonging to the gym. But recently I got an email from LifeTime telling me about all of the benefits that members enjoy.
I was shocked.
This, to most people, would be a deal-maker. Anyone hesitant about joining would no doubt be tipped over the edge by the big benefits given to members. And when I show you a sample, you’ll see why. This is just a very small part of the benefits package I receive:
- Autobuying Programs – Around $1500-$5000 saving on a new car
- 15% off my T-Mobile bill – Around $15/month saving
- $100 gift cards for $85 at Sports Authority
- 10% off all Drugstore.com purchases
- 20% off at Footlocker, Champ Sports and many other sports stores
- Over $500 off a Dish Network package
- Half-price tanning at various salons in the area
- 10% off at UPS
- Up to 25% off at many restaurants, some as high as 50% off.
- Up to 50% off Budget car rentals
- $50 off rooms at the Marriott
- Preferred pricing at many golf clubs
- Up to $400 off per eye on Lasik
- Bank deals, including reduced closing costs
- Up to 12% off Dell computers
I could keep going, but I think you get the idea. The savings I get on autobuying program alone will, when I do use it, pay for the price of my membership for years. Add in all of the other savings, including a nice monthly discount on my cell phone, and the benefits of staying healthy really do go way beyond the physical.
I would advise you to check with your own health club (or any other club you belong to) and see if you also have a benefits package. Chances are, you do. And you could be saving money right now just by checking it out and making a few calls.
Let us know how you get on.
Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.
Wise Bread is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.