Friends Don't Let Friends...
In the past few decades the Ad Council has been running an ad with the tag line "Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Drunk". This ad campaign has been instrumental in decreasing drunk driving fatalities and almost every American has heard it at one time or another. What if this ad were applied to mistakes people make in personal finance?
These are some of the alternative "friends don't let friends" ads I would make:
- Friends don't let friends get a payday loan.
- Friends don't let friends get scammed .
- Friends don't let friends buy things they can't afford .
- Friends don't let friends go into retirement with nothing.
- Friends don't let friends get into debilitating debt.
- Friends don't let friends give their kid a bad name.
- Friends don't let friends repeat their own mistakes .
Ironically, I find that it is easier to give strangers advice rather than advising my own friends because as a society we are taught that our money is our own business. It is weird to butt into the financial decisions of a friend, but sometimes I feel that it is necessary to speak up because a really bad financial decision could be as devastating as being disabled in a drunk driving car accident.
What financial mistake do you think belongs in a "friends don't let friends" ad? Feel free to be creative!
Disclaimer: The links and mentions on this site may be affiliate links. But they do not affect the actual opinions and recommendations of the authors.
Wise Bread is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.